Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baked Rice Pudding

Projectile Rice Pudding: A Baker's Piston (PV=nRT?)
During a short visit to my parent's place, I decided that I'd make rice pudding with raisins (my father's favorite), but with a twist! As opposed to the traditional rice pudding, I thought that I'd bake it with a graham cracker base and try it out with a little bit of lemon. Although I did enjoy it, it should be noted that people generally don't like it when you alter traditions... (On a side note, happy Father's Day!)

This recipe was borrowed from the 50th Anniversary Joy of Cooking cookbook, I think. (05/19/2013)


Baked Rice Pudding
2 cups medium grain rice (cooked)
1 1/3 cups milk
2 eggs
6 TBS sugar
2 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
Fine cookie crumbs (used graham cracker)

Preparing the Rice Pudding
  1. Coat medium mason jars with butter (ramekins are over rated these days), a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish also works, and spread fine cookie crumbs over the bottom (if desired);
  2. Mix the milk, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a large bowl;
  3. Add rice, raisins, lemon juice and zest and stir lightly with a fork;
  4. Pour into  prepared dishes and bake at 325F for 25-40 minutes, depending on dish size;
  5. Serve warm;



No comments:

Post a Comment